Keeping a cage clean and odor-free is a challenge most pet owners face on a daily basis. Aside from cleaning the cage regularly, the guinea pig bedding & substrate also plays a role in maintaining a clean and odor-free home for your pocket pets. Giving them a clean house will not only give them comfortable surface but will keep them away from unwanted diseases too. Here are some guides that you can use when finding the right bedding and substrate for your beloved guinea pig:
There are two commonly used types of guinea pig bedding & substrate: fleece-based bedding, paper-based bedding and wood bedding (which is not recommended).
- Fleece Bedding- This type of bedding is the most expensive type but since it is washable and can be used for a long type, it will appear cheaper in the long run. If you enjoy decorating the cage of your little pet, this is the bedding type for you because it comes with a variety of colours and patterns that you can choose from.
- Paper-Based Bedding- From the word itself- paper-based meaning it is made out of paper and cannot be washed. It will let you skip the washing part but it can get more expensive in the long run because you always need to buy one.
- Wood Bedding- This type of bedding is made from shaved woods but the problem about this is there are some woods that are not safe for your guinea pigs so if you really want to make them more comfortable go for the first two.
Guinea Pig Fleece Bedding
The use of fleece as guinea pig bedding is becoming more and more popular because of several reasons. If you want to give your guinea pigs treat aside from food, comfortable bedding is also a good idea.
- The colourful materials and patterns being used in fleece beddings makes it an instant favourite, its adorable and colourful and who wouldn’t want that?
- Fleece as blankets are super comfortable and we know that as humans so if you will give one for your pet, you know that they will very comfortable sleeping in it.
- Fleece bedding also makes great odor control because of its absorbent properties. It can hold fluids for a week and it can be washed unlike the paper-based making it cheaper in the long run.
Paper Bedding for Guinea pigs
If you hate washing and do not have time for that, go for the disposable one but if you are going to choose go for the paper-based bedding and not wood-based bedding. Paper-based bedding has also some good qualities to offer like:
- Absorbent and good odor control.
- Comfortable and Safe
- Customize your cage with the many colors available
- Safe for your guinea pig’s tiny feet
It might be a bit expensive in the long run but if you don’t have the time to wash and dry your bedding, paper-based will always be a good choice.